Repair Versus Replace – Your Heating System
The heating repair and replacement decision is never an easy one to make. Both have their own pros and cons, and ultimately, only one is the right choice. While it may be natural for one to try and get away with repairs to ward off the significant expenditure of having to buy a new one, it may only be about buying yourself a little more time.
When the heating system starts to give trouble, you will realize how badly it can disrupt your normal routine. The warmth that you crave is missing, and your home becomes a cold planet. Now is when you need to choose whether repairs will serve you better or replacement is the call of the day. To choose is not as easy as flipping a coin. It is all about making an informed decision.
When To Repair The Heating System
Here are the times when repairs will save the day for you :
1. Heating System Is Still Under Warranty – All new heating and cooling systems carry a manufacturer’s warranty. If your furnace or heat pump is relatively new and you have ensured its maintenance routine, the warranty of the product would be intact. When the unit is still under warranty, the manufacturer will address most of its repairs. Under such circumstances, repairs are more sensitive as there is enough life left in the unit. It would not be very smart to buy a new heating system when the current one can easily come back into operation with repairs.
2. Technician Too Advises For Repairs – Never overlook the advice of the HVAC technician. They have both the technical know-how and experience to give the right advice and guide you in the appropriate direction. If you are not sure, ask for a second and third opinion. But let the popular recommendation of the technicians guide the final decision. A small point to note is, always ask a trained and certified HVAC contractor or technician for their opinion. Only their opinion counts and is backed by proper knowledge.
Benefits Of Repair
Let us now have a brief look at the benefits of repairs.
1. Repairs at any time cost less than replacing the heating system. Financially it is a more enticing solution.
2. Most times, the repair will bring your heating system back into proper working order. If that is the case, a repair will hold you in good stead.
3. Timely maintenance and repairs also extend the life of the heating system. So you can get more value in the form of good use from your investment.
When To Replace The Heating System
Now is the time to learn about those scenarios when replacement is the only viable solution.
1. Heating System Is More Than A Decade-Old – Heating systems have the usual life expectancy of 12 to 15 years. If your unit is nearing that mark or within it, replacing it is a better choice. Finding spares for a unit as old as yours will soon become a challenge due to its obsolete technology. Consequently, the cost of repairs will also increase. Instead of spending such large amounts on a system that will have to be replaced very soon, it is better to replace it.
2. Repairs Are Often With Each Successive One Being Costlier – Your unit may not be old, but neither is it new (so you can’t take advantage of the warranty anymore). Nevertheless, its demand for repairs is incessant. The worst part being, the cost of repairs is constantly increasing, so much so that you dread the next one. It is better to replace that heating system, which has become a financial drain and mental pain.
3. Heating System Is Not Energy Efficient – Technology is constantly evolving. The newer heating systems are not only environment friendly but also energy-efficient. Sadly, the same cannot be said about the older systems. Even if your current heating system is not giving you any major problems, it can barely stand in terms of energy efficiency compared to the modern ones. If you wish to maximize your savings and reduce your carbon footprint, now is the time to replace the heating system.
Benefits Of Replacement
There are many benefits to replacing the heating system.
1. You can replace your old heating system with a newer, energy-efficient, and more environment-friendly unit. You can now get more use out of it and make your home comfortable.
2. Buying the latest technology will ensure the easy availability of spares and pocket-friendly repairs. So, this one-time investment will prove to be less burdensome in the long run.
3. The new heating system will improve the air quality in your house. The most significant difference you will notice is how little dust now accumulates on surfaces. A less visible change will be a reduction in pathogens and allergens indoors.
4. Most importantly, when you replace the heating system, what you finally get is peace of mind. You know for sure that your comfort at home will now be uninterrupted.
When to repair and when to replace the heating system is one question that has no clear cut answer. It is a decision that is based on brutal facts and financial budgeting. Under some scenarios, like when the unit is still under warranty or when the cost of repairs is not very high, repairs are a suitable option. On the other hand, if your unit is old and constantly demanding expensive repairs, it is time to replace it. The ultimate decision, however, rests in your hands as you know the best what you can afford at the moment.
If you need help with your heating system, Contact Walker Heating & Air Conditioning. We are an HVAC business in Woodbridge, VA. that renders all services related to the heating and cooling systems. Right from installations and repairs to maintenance and replacements, our technicians excel on all fronts. Next time you face any HVAC related issue, call us at (703) 782-8210. We not only provide emergency services but are also open 24/7 so that your comfort is not disrupted more than what is necessary. Prompt action and customer satisfaction are the very foundation of our success.